My first cake for 2015 was for my boss' birthday and I took the opportunity to hit another bird with the same stone and use it as a canvas to do some more practice!
Inside it was another sort of a frankencake - my April bride asked to sample some flavours, so I baked all 4, set aside her sample portions and put the rest into this cake: chai spiced buttercake, mocha spiced buttercake, marble buttercake and white chocolate mudcake.
Later this year I will need to reproduce a brushstroke finish using a metallic colour. I was hoping I might be able to brush through some silver leaf to achieve it, but this cake taught me that that wouldn't be possible. Those white-ish blocks are where I tried to semi-adhere the silver leaf, then brush through it with a wet brush to 'antique' it and hopefully get it to streak. I didn't get the effect I was after with that, so I think with the actual cake I will have to paint with gold lustre instead. The rest of the brush stroke painting worked really well and I'm feeling more confident with reproducing that effect later this year.
The last practice component was that I will have to speckle a couple of toppers with gold, 'like sunlight'. I made a simple succulent for my boss and attempted to speckle that. Not so successful there (IMO I ruined a perfectly good succulent lol). I might simply use gold lustre and flick a brush next time, or get some of the gold flakes and try sticking those down instead of trying to tear up the sheets myself.
I'll admit, it's something quite different to my usual style but I really like it. It made me step out of my comfort zone, producing something quite abstract and random, as opposed to my usual obsessively planned work. My boss loved it and refused to cut it at work, preferring instead to take it home and show off at his family reunion some 3 days later! If I had known he would do that, I would have made a bigger cake, and something that more reflected him! haha but nevermind, I'll still take the compliment, and plan a little better for next year!