Sunday, October 14, 2012

Monkeying around

The SIL of an old high school friend contacted me about making monkey themed cupcakes or a cake for her son's first birthday.  We tossed a few ideas each other's way and she really loved a cake made by Bella Cupcakes (of whom I am an unashamed Facebook stalker - if I lived in NZ I'd be camped outside her doorstep begging to clean and wash dishes for free in exchange for letting me watch her work!). She sent me a pic of her son's new birthday outfit and asked for the colours on the cake to match, but keeping the monkey figurine and expression as on Bella Cupcakes' design. 


I have to say I'm really pleased with how this cake and figurine turned out - as I may have mentioned before, figure modelling is not a strength of mine, even if it's just based on simple balls and ovals, I'm not great with proportions and shaping.  This little guy took me the better part of 2 hours and many, many, many different faces, bodies, eyes, nostrils... you get the idea.  

On a less positive note, I had my iphone next to me with the picture open as I coloured the fondant - how was I to know that on my computer screen the colours are completely different!  I also added little red accents as I felt the colours needed a little 'lift' for contrast.   

Ok on my iphone the colours actually matched!
Despite everything, my customer was really delighted when she came to collect the cake.  Another success!

No comments:

Post a Comment