The week before this cake was due, she told me that her original party theme for her mother's 60th was a formal tea party, but the cost to hire the tea sets was in the region of $700-$800. Her family decided instead to go to Op Shops and buy odd tea sets cheaply instead, and this changed the theme slightly to be a little more in the way of a Mad Hatter tea party. What a brilliant idea! And so much easier to execute in a cake too.
I started the teacup about 2 weeks ahead of time just to be sure that it set properly. What I ended up doing was rolling some gumpaste very thinly then cutting a long, wide, rectangular strip, generously dusting the inside of a teacup, pressed the gumpaste to the inside shape and then trimmed the top edge. I pressed the join together until it was barely noticeable, checked that it could still come out of the teacup easily and then let it set for a few days. When it could hold its own shape, I let it dry upside down. I used a similar technique for the saucer.
I based the cake design loosely on the one that she liked but made the cake a little bigger by adding a top tier and also added a few small embellishments. I'm really happy with how it turned out. As a surprise, I made the cake layers inside alternating layers of pink and green (pandan and rose flavours for a bit of a Malaysian twist for her guests who don't like chocolate). Her feedback the next day was:
'Thanks for the awesome cake was a sell out! ... All 50 ladies said the cake was fab. The multicoloured cake was just awesome! Many thanks I'm sure would have taken you ages. ... Have a good wkn'